Sunday, September 4, 2011

Small victories

This time last week we Irene was knocking on the door and a few hours later, holed up with winds howling, rain pelting, and without electricity.  Returning from school on what was to be the first day of the semester but rendered cancelled from Miss Irene's visit, we found our electricity was restored a mere 36 hours later.  And "a mere 36 hours later" is not meant to be sarcastic, there are folks a full week later still without power.  Little victory.

We started the semester on Tuesday, teaching Tue. / Thurs. mornings, grad. printmaking and grad sculpture in the respective afternoons.  Having my schedule cornered into only two days out of the week:  little victory.

More than a month ago I started work on a big project that is planned to a significant piece for my thesis show; tracing, cutting, and sewing fabric birds.  Hundreds of them.  After dutifully working on them over the weeks, the work has reached monotony.  This evening I was asked how many I've completed and the inquisitor said "hey, you've got nearly a quarter of them done."  Thank god he did or I'd still be doubting the feasibility of the piece considering I've got just over two months until the show.  Quarter of the birds done:  Little victory.


No comments:

Post a Comment