Saturday, July 23, 2011

So, that teaching gig...

Hello again. A lesson that is known all too well and respected, "take the good with the bad," is governing my summer. Several wonderful things have transpired, traveling to Michigan, exhibiting artwork at various galleries, enjoying the summer weather and beaches on the North Shore, and a few other things that I'll mention shortly. As I mentioned earlier, I was looking forward to the prospect of teaching a course during summer session two in July and August, but a few weeks before the start of the class the university cancelled it. I was excited to teach the course since it is a foundations level 3D design course and one that I have not taught before. It certainly would have been a challenging portion of the summer with 5 hour class meetings twice a week and I am missing the accompanying modest paycheck for the course. After several phone calls, emails, and interviews for menial part time labor, all of my job prospects have fallen through as well. I know several millions of people are in the same situation I am in, and they likely have other beings to be taking care of too, which makes this mind boggling debt ceiling business all the more scary when Medicare/Medicaid, Social Security benefits, and Unemployment assistance are all in the hands of politicians.

Alright, enough of this pity party. If nothing else, my confidence taking a few hits is good training for the more serious task of post-grad school job hunting.

Fellow MFA colleague, Jamie, taking on the role of Watson, a la Waston and the Shark. An appropriate image of how I'm feeling and isn't Shark Week right around the corner?!

No comments:

Post a Comment